We're proud to cater for a range of dietary requirements, and we have a range of delicious low FODMAP meals for you to choose from.
FODMAPs are a group of poorly absorbed fermentable short-chain carbohydrates that can lead to excessive fluid and gas production causing gastrointestinal discomfort (e.g. bloating, abdominal pain and distension) in some people.
The fancy acronym, FODMAP, stands for:
- Fermentable: carbohydrates that are broken down by microorganisms (bacteria) in the gut to produce alcohol or organic acids
- Oligosaccharides: ‘oligo’ means a few individual sugars that are joined together
- Disaccharides: two sugar molecules(Lactose; found in dairy products)
- Monosaccharides: one sugar molecule
- Polyols: sugar alcohols
Due to their smaller molecular size, FODMAPs draws in water causing an osmotic effect in the large intestine (think diarrhoea!). Of the carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed they undergo fermentation in the large bowel producing hydrogen and methane gas (think bloating, excessive flatulence, abdominal pain and distension!)
FODMAPs are found in a variety of foods with the main ones being:
- Dairy products like milk and soft cheeses
- Honey, apples, mango, high fructose corn syrup
- Onion, leek, garlic, wheat
- Legume beans, chickpeas, lentils
- Sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol
Monash University have some excellent information on FODMAPS and how to follow a low FODMAP diet - https://www.monashfodmap.com/about-fodmap-and-ibs/
Check out our range of Low FODMAP meals by using the handy filter on the product page, or by clicking here.